- Pie Crust:
1 1/3 cups (6 ounces) flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar (granulated)
7 tablespoons butter (ice cold)
5 to 7 tablespoons ice water
3/4 cup hot water
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup (10 ounces) Birds & Baileys Sorghum
1 large egg (beaten)
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (5 ounces) flour
2/3 cup (5 ounces) brown sugar (light or dark)
4 tablespoons butter (cold)
Dash of salt
- Combine 1 1/4 cups of flour, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon granulated sugar and whisk to blend ingredients. Cut the 7 tablespoons of cold butter into small pieces and then work it into the flour mixture with hands, a pastry blender, or food processor until the mixture is crumbly with some small pea-size pieces of butter.
- Blend 4 tablespoons of ice water into the flour mixture and mix with a fork until moistened. Continue adding small amounts of ice water until the dough begins to hold together.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured board and knead a few times until the dough comes together. Don’t overwork the dough or the pastry will be tough.
- Shape the dough into a flattened disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill for about 20 minutes.
- Roll the chilled dough out into a circle about 12 inches in diameter. Fold and fit into a 9-inch pie plate. Trim the edges and crimp as desired.
- Heat the oven to 400 F (200 C).
In a bowl, dissolve the baking powder in the boiling water. Stir in sorghum. Whisk in the beaten egg.
- In another bowl, combine the 1 cup of flour with the 2/3 cup of brown sugar and a dash of salt. Cut in the 4 tablespoons of butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Pour the sorghum filling into the crust.
- Sprinkle the crumb mixture over the sorghum mixture.
- Carefully move the pie to the oven and bake at 400° F (200° C) for 15 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350° F (180° C) and continue baking for about 30 to 35 minutes, or until the filling is set. Use a pie shield or homemade foil ring to protect the crust from over-browning after about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cool on a rack.
- Serve the pie with ice cream or sweetened whipped cream.